hello, my name is shelley . I joined the monthly stitch cape challenge because it looked like it would be fun and provide motivation to sew something for myself.
I normally make things for children and sell at a market stall and on-line.
I drafted out a new pattern from the one i use for kids.
sized it up to fit me , and did away with the usual hood and animal ears, : )
i decided to make a capelet with a large peter pan collar and reversible.
the floral fabric is a curtaining remnant , ( $2 from the op-shop ) . i don’t know if it is genuinely old, but i like vintage and flowers.
along the selvedge is printed ” bouquet ” an rj nesbitt design. the piece measured 120cm x 1.5m , plenty of room for cutting and matching up the fronts, which was easy to do with the little tags that the printers very kindly incorporate in the selvedge for ease of matching curtains, i imagine.
the grey fabric was another piece from my stash, it was an odd shape , but i just squeezed out the two fronts and back on fold, didn’t bother about grain lines as this fabric has no discernible weave.
the hardest part was choosing the fabric for the collar and silk ties.
after much procrastination i settled on the final combo. oxblood red velvet and ties with a whimsical balloon design, and a liberty print one. they introduced more colours to the scheme which i like , otherwise it was all getting too predictable.
the sewing was fairly straight forward.
you basically make up two capelets and sandwich the collar between, also the tie ends, leaving a small gap for turning. slip stitch this close.
i test sewed the edges together to give a topstitched finish, but decided i like the unfinished, kind of pouffed look better.
i am a first time blogger. this is definitely out of my comfort zone. but i felt inspired and encouraged to take part by the lovely team at the monthly stitch.
thank you so much, : )