So I kind of cheated for this month, and made a vintage-inspired dress, rather than from a vintage pattern.
I was all for this month’s challenge before I realised that I only have a couple of vintage patterns, and most of them are for the funny, because of their details, rather than dresses I actually wanted to make up. I initially thought I’d make up a pair of culotts before seeing that the size corresponded to a 36″ hip… lets just say, that’s much less than my hip measurement.
So I went with a dress I’ve had on the backburner for a while now; Gertie’s Shirtwaist Dress, from her book. After cutting out all the pieces, the construction was pretty straightforward. I had to chop off a significant amount of shoulder width and put the buttons on in slightly the wrong place, leading to some pulling/gaping.
I initially thought this would count for the Fall For Cotton challenge too; but then Mrs. C told me it was more likely a viscose. And then I realised I don’t have any 100% cottons in my stash.
For (3) more photos and information, see the post on my blog.