Hi all, I’m Anne, I blog vintage stuff at Vintage Belle & this is my first posting at the Monthly Stitch. I missed August due to holidays etc, and only just managed to get this garment done in time for September, even though I am only posting now!
My vintage pattern is McCall’s 9819 from 1954. Featuring a v-neck front & back, double pleats in the skirt at the front & two slightly gored panels in the back skirt, this one’s a corker! From the first time I saw this pattern I was desperate to make it up, it’s just so sexy looking! I decided it was the one to start with for the September challenge to sew something vintage. I had bought some heather pinspot cotton from Ditto Fabrics in August to use for Rochelle & Tasha’s Fall for Cotton project in September & decided to use it for this pattern. Two birds with one stone – love it!
Putting together was very simple. The bodice of this dress is cut on the bias, which means that v-neck is on the straight, eliminating the inclination for the fabric to stretch & get all baggy. Now I know it looks a little big on Belle, it is a size too big for her, but I needed a model! I’m not grading these patterns, just making them as they come. We fixed the problem a bit with a little judicious placing of the belt and posing! I didn’t make this dress for anyone in particular, it is destined for a new home via a little shop in my town.
There is a small gusset under the arms to enable waving down a taxi or sending off a loved one…
One concession to modern tastes is that I shorten the skirts on these 50s dresses. This one has had 15cm removed, as well as having a 3cm taped hem! I leave the hem hitting just below the knee, they wouldn’t look right any shorter. I am looking forward to getting going on October’s theme, I have such lovely dress patterns in my vintage boxes just begging to be made!