Thanks for letting me join in the fun here at Monthly Stitch!
Wanting to try out my new sloper, I went looking for a pant pattern through all the Burda Magazines in my collection. Collection sounds so much better than stash, don’t you think?! Anyway, I really liked 114 from Burda Magazine 4-2013, a basic side zip pant, even if it didn’t have pockets.
When I compared the sloper to the Burda pattern, the pattern was way too small. I know I have to size Burda (and most patterns) to a larger size in the hips since I am pear shaped, but this was ridiculously small.
So upon searching again, in the same magazine, I found this pattern, 132, which was a basic side zip pant – in plus size. My sloper fit the smallest size nicely so I traced & even ended up using my own drafted pattern for the back. Yippee – I only had to trace the front and pockets. Did I mention this pattern had pockets?!
So excitedly I cut and sewed some brown stretch jacquard I’d been saving for pants.
When I tried them on, they were huge. I mean way huge. I do not know how my sloper and measurements can be right and yet these pants did not fit. So I began serging the seams to reduce the size. I even ripped out the zipper and reset it to take in size in the hips.
In the photo I have greatly sized them smaller – probably to the original pattern #114 that I liked!
Here is a close up of the finished front pocket area. I stitched down the pocket because it kept gaping open. I learned that plus sized pockets are drafted much larger than regular sized pockets. Hated to do this because there was cute fabric for the lining! To see how cute the pocket lining fabric was you can go the blog here.
I’ve already completed 2 more pair and am working on the 3rd – pictures and posts coming soon!
Happy Creating everyone!