Hi everyone! I’m Sara, and this is the first garment I’ve managed to make for the Monthly Stitch, though I’ve been wanting to participate for a while; hopefully I’ll be more regular in the future. I was excited about this challenge because even though I’ve never really had much desire to make full-length pants, I’d been meaning to make up these shorts–almost pants, right?–forever. Before I go any further, I have to explain that this fabric is very not me. I did actually buy it, long ago, during an obviously misguided phase, and these shorts are actually its second incarnation. Previously it was a sleeveless shift dress and, well, let me say again, obviously misguided. At least for me. I think the shorts will get a bit more wear. They’re still pretty loud for my tastes, but at least now my top can be plain.
Technically, these shorts are a muslin, which turned out to be more wearable than I expected. (Well, they’ll be wearable in a few months, when the weather changes.) The fit admittedly still needs a bit of work, but considering that these are the first fitted shorts I’ve made in at least five years, and that I spent only a few hours on them, I’m pretty pleased. I used Simplicity 3435 from the early 60s, and made a few style changes–lower waist, front rather than side zipper, pockets. I also made use of a book from the same era, Else Tyroler’s Sewing Pants for Women, for fitting tips. The illustrations are quite entertaining.
My favorite thing about these–other than the fact that I finally completed a challenge, and that I unexpectedly made something I can perhaps actually wear–is the thread. Since there were already a million colors going on, instead of using one color thread for the whole project, I chose to use up all the little bobbin tails I have left from previous projects. Ten different colors of thread here. That’s enough color to last quite a while. I’m happy.