Last month when I asked you to boss me around and choose my March garment make, the voting had me on the edge of my seat, from one day to the next I could never guess the outcome of the vote. In the end Vogue 1316 won with 52 of 185 votes. To make my version of the Rebecca Taylor Designer Pattern I scrounged up a shoe box full of scrap fabrics from prior projects. The Vogue pattern calls for four different fabrics blocked together yet I had to obtain five different fabrics to account for the yardage needed to create the dress.
- Tiny scale houndstooth cotton blend suiting used for center front and back panels as well as center bust section
- Houndstooth silk and wool blend suiting used at shoulders and upper hip
- Diagonal stripe silk and wool blend suiting used at bust and back bodice and side hem section
- Black moleskin used at front neckline and waistband contrast
- Houndstooth plaid cotton blend suiting used at center waistband and sleeves
I modified the pattern design, I added self drafted sleeves and removed many of the skirt side seams. I also had to underline a few of my suiting fabrics to make all the fabrics comparable thicknesses. My construction process is detailed here.