My name is Vanessa and I blog over at SimpleFibreLife. I’ve been admiring the amazing-ness happening over here and I’m really excited to be publishing my first post on The Monthly Stitch. Squeee!
I took my time with this make and added some details to mix it up. I top stitched around the pockets edges. I sewed, overlocked (serged) and top stitched the front and side seams. To top stitch the seams I used my stitch in the ditch foot and moved the needle to the side.
I’m happy with the fit of this skirt. It is very different to the fit of the first Hollyburn I made. The waistband is snugger than I’m used to and sits at my waist, but that was what I was going for. The skirt fabric bunches and pulls a tad above my bum, which means I either need to do a sway back or a full butt adjustment – I’m leaning towards a full butt adjustment.
Sewaholic Hollyburn-View B
~Changes I made this time~
- Changed the pockets – made it a 2 piece pocket and rounded the pointed bottom
- Snap tab at top of zipper
- Invisible zipper
~What I Like~
- The snap tab is fantastic! Makes zipping up a breeze!
- The colour is a great basic without being black.
~What I Don’t Like~
- The fabric is a bit rough. But I’ll see how it goes after a few cycles through the wash.
- The zipper gets a bit stuck at the waistband. I think it’s a combination of a bulky waistband and slightly over exuberant stitching at the zipper while finishing the waistband are the culprits.
- There is a bit of pulling in the back of the skirt when I put my hands in my pockets
- I might try a full butt adjustment to resolve some of the bunching at the back of the skirt.
- I have sewn the Hollyburn a couple of times in fairly heavy fabric. I’ll have to try it in a lighter fabric.
I think that the skirt has a very 70’s vibe. I think it’s a combination of the shape, length and colour. Overall a pretty good make. It will make a great addition to my wardrobe rotation.
There are more photos and more detail about adjustments I made to this skirt including how I adjusted the pocket on my blog post here.
I’m looking forward to the next challenge. How about you?
Thanks for reading. Until next time,