It all started with Kwick Sew 3484, a bunch of fabric and my husband’s request for some shirts to wear to Viva Las Vegas.
The first shirt I made was from Green broadcloth with green ‘leopard print’ as contrast.
Kwick Sew 3484 in Green
Then I made the same shirt again in Brown w/a pinup cowgirl print as contrast.
My husband really likes this shirt and bought himself cowboy boots just to wear with it!
then came my next challenge – taking this basic shirt and adding a rock-a-billy punch.
that meant drafting some contrast pieces using a vintage western pattern as a guide.. and changing the patch pocket to welt.
That ended up being everyone’s favorite and a shirt I’m enormously proud of and so is he!
And, as if that wasn’t enough… 😀
I made myself a bowling shirt to ‘match’ my husbands. I love this top!! Even more proud of the fact that I totally hacked this together.
The men’s shirt pattern I had been using for all the men’s shirts I had been making was Way too big in the shoulders and arm holes, so I wanted to start with a woman’s shirt. My critera was – ‘boxy’ style button down with facing (not a button placket) and a fold down collar. The closest I could come was this vintage pattern I owned.
Amazingly it pretty much fit from the package! I took the right panel of the shirt and split it into three pieces – added seam allowance to all three and poof I had my contrast front.
for the sleeves I actually used the original Kwick Sew pattern piece and graded between the sleeve edge and arm scythe to make it fit. This gave me the more loose ‘bowling’ look to the shirt.
for the collar I again toko the Kwick Sew pattern and just shortened it at the center back to fit the length of the new neck opening. I have to tell you, I was a little amazed when it all came together – but over the top pleased.
As an added bonus, I made the under collar out of the contrast fabric so that it matches my husband’s shirt in every detail