The Monthly Stitch has been fantastic at encouraging me to finally make some of those “round-toits”. Case and point not one but two merino cardigans.
No. 1 is re-make of a brown jersey that unfortunately had an early demise thanks to my lovely “Hemingway cat”. (To save this post from cat pix, head over to my blog to see SnagglePuss in action.) Too good to throw out, I recut it into a bolero style cardigan. The pattern is one of my own, adjusted to fit the confines of the original jersey, including extra seams in discreet places (like the facings) because there was only just enough fabric. I’ve got no idea where the fastenings came from, they’ve been hanging out in “the trims stash” for so long.
No. 2 is made from left-over merino from a tunic top made years ago. I made the pattern by tracing a sweater onto paper, then cutting a bit off the bottom of the pattern for a hip band, a bit off the centre fronts for front plackets (mainly because there wasn’t quite enough fabric, otherwise I would have extended the fronts to create fold back facings), a bit off the sleeves for cuffs and did some dodgy arithmetic to work out how long the neckband needed to be. If you try this method for yourself, remember to add seam allowances before you cut your fabric.
If your wondering why my mannequin is covered in black lyrca, I’ve finally put a little junk in her trunk, using this tutorial and a bunch of old shoulderpads. Garments hang much better now she has a realistic shape!