I’ve been so excited for Indie Pattern Month- ready to try out a few new pattern companies and add some more summer makes to my wardrobe. This is my entry into the Dresses Contest-and my favorite make so far. I LOVE how this turned out, especially as it was really supposed to be just a wearable muslin. Perfect timing too, as I was able to wear this to my son’s preschool graduation this past weekend.
I’ve been looking for a while to match my inspiration dress, a long racerback in a natural dye pattern. I found the perfect pattern as my base in the Lemon Drop Dress (& tank) from SBCC Patterns (Skinny Bitch*Curvy Chick). This indie company designs for all sizes ( the pattern sizing is xx-small-3x!) focusing on petites. I’m 5’8″ so I never thought of trying these patterns before, but this was so easy to adapt to fit my frame.
This pattern comes as a PDF which was perfect since I wanted to get started right away. My fav features of this pattern:
- bodice darts for some shape
- the self belt tunnel casing
- bias cut binding
- easy to follow instructions
I made a few changes to get the look I wanted. I lengthened the dress to the floor for a maxi look. I cut the pattern on a slight angle removing the excess in the center where the center bodice pleat was located since I wanted to keep my shibori pattern from my dyeing flat. This column shape really maximized the design pattern. I was able to center both designs front and back perfectly with the darkest color on the upper bodice.
The dyeing of this dress was done with the remnants of last weeks Quebracho Rojo dyepot. I shibori tied off my fabric with rubber bands seen below. It’s 2 YDS of a lovely brushed hemp/cotton mix from Near Sea Naturals that I bought from Organic Cotton Plus on sale, Willow Dusk Curtain. I love the slight flecks and subtle color of the natural fabric and wanted to keep that look. I was really pleased with the color since the dye was at its end. The pattern it left looked a bit like a Rorschach test-love it!
I really love that this dress has a belt tunnel, which you could easily move higher for a different look. My main problem with most maxi’s is that they tend to be high-waisted, making me feel like I look pregnant. So I was really happy to have my belt at my natural waist. I had to play with the placement to get it right at my lower back- but it looks so graceful when simply tied. For the construction I serged most of my edges and then topstitched everything. I also took in the sides until it was really nicely fitted at the bust, but looser at the hips for a smooth line. I also used a decorative stitch on the waist tunnel. The belt is a simple tube of the same fabric. And I did a simple turned twice hem on the bottom leaving the original slightly curved shape at the bottom.
detail of the waist tunnel decorative stitching:
This was super quick and easy to sew up and by far my favorite make to date. I love the simple clean lines and the fit is perfection! I can see myself making quite a few of these dresses in different dye patterns- so easy to wear, comfortable and elegant. Come see more over at my blog Sew Pomona!