Keilabetto

I wasn’t sure whether this would be submissible for Franken-Indie, as technically, I am not actually combining two sewing patterns, more a freebie crochet pattern with sewing instructions, and a freebie sewing pattern. But after consultation with those in charge, it is, and so I made sure to take it out of the work-in-progress-but-being-ignored pile and get cracking!

I have been doing quite a bit of crochet lately, and had the idea that I wanted to make a crochet yoke for a top, ready for summertime relaxing! This was a couple of months ago, turns out that as a novice crochet-er I didn’t really know where to start in order to design it. But then I found a freebie pattern on Ravelry. Sorted.

Keila Ravelry

It is constructed out of 3 squares and 2 triangles on the front and on the back, all joined together with edging, and then more along the bottom. Not too tricky.

To crochet the yoke and trim, I used Patons Grace, a 100% Mercerized Cotton Yarn.

Blocked Yoke

To block it into shape, I just pinned it out on my ironing board and set my iron to the cotton setting with lots of steam. Simple but effective.

The original instructions for the bodice, well it just didn’t end up looking great, no tucks, no darts a little bit bleh. This may have been down to my fabric choice, which is described as a seersucker cotton stripe and is reasonably stiff and non-drapey.

So that is how it ended up in….. The Pile.

But this week the challenge is Franken-Indie! Could I save it by combining it with something with a bit more something? I have previously used the freebie Colette Sorbetto pattern a few times. It’s my tried and tested sleeveless top pattern, so I decided to modify it slightly to make this bodice.

By measuring where I wanted the bust darts to be in relation to the yoke, I then adapted the pattern. 2 3/4″ from the top is where I needed the bust dart to end, so I folded over the pattern at this line, adding seam allowance and drawing these onto the fabric.

As I had already cut into my fabric, I had limited width (and length, but width was more crucial) to work with, so when I sewed the pieces together at the sides, I had to taper out the seam allowance from the full 5/8″ at the bust, to 1/4″ at the bottom in order to fit it in. I tried it on, to check the fit, and check that the darts were in the right place.

To maintain the length of the bodice, and stabilize the top and bottom edges, I finished them with some white bias tape, then to complete it, I just sewed the yoke and bottom edging on with lines of straight stitch.

Keilabetto

Action shots? You betcha! Yep, I took over the playground for pictures today.

Keilabetto

No children were present.

Keilabetto

I am really going to have to watch out for dodgy tan lines with this one! And looking back at this picture, it’s a really bad angle for showcasing my hyper-mobile elbows!

If you would like to see more detail of the process, simple though it was, check out my post on BakingMakingandCrafting.com!

 

15 thoughts on “Keilabetto

  1. Pingback: And the Franken-Indie winners are…. | The Monthly Stitch

    • I did have a debate with myself over whether to include it or not, but I am glad I did, otherwise the fabric may not have blended with it as well.

      It kind of makes it feel a bit more delicate and girlie to me too. It is actually the same pattern as the edging along the bottom of the yoke, but that just blends in to the rest, whereas this really stands our against the fabric.

      Like

  2. This is so beautiful! I was eyeing a crochet-yoke top in a shop the other day and wondering if it’d be possible to make one. I’m a hopeless crochet-er but I reckon I could have another go for something as pretty as this! 🙂

    Like

    • It was actually quite straightforward with pretty good instructions for the crochet part. There is also another pattern by the same designer, where you can knit the yoke and have a similar result, also available on Ravelry.

      Like

Comments are closed.