The first Papercut pattern I ever made was the Miss Chalmers skirt from the Home Sewn book. Then I saw the new Anima pants and I made some harem style pants. The final twist was seeing amazing versions of the Bellatrix blazer across the internet. I envisioned a fabulous floral suit all coming together nicely using the fabric I bought at the start of the year at Centrepoint Fabrics in Auckland. It is a cotton stateen with birds, large white flowers on a black background. A quick google search brought up MANY options for floral print suits and I was convinced I could make it happen.
I made this production style… sewing as many seams as I could before ironing, overlocking and then sewing the next round of seams.
The Miss Chalmers skirt is a simple skirt the only change I made was to add 6cm to the length to make it more wearable for myself.
I did a quick muslin of the Bellatrix Jacket and went with the largest size. Making the muslin also helped me make a few mistakes early – like sewing the front bottom panels on the wrong way round and remember to cut all notches for ease of construction in the real thing.
The jacket is lined with silk/cotton from the Fabric Store and feels devine. The button is a green one from my collection.
I did not try to pattern match on this fabric, instread I attempted to cut the panels so there were birds or decent flowers on each one.
I love this as a statement piece that can be worn with the skirt or with a little black dress, my green jeans or many other pieces in my wardrobe.
Finally the Anima pants… in this crazy birds and flowers! It is quite full on even for me who loves prints. But I think I can make it work, even if it gives you a headache if I wear it all at once.
This was the second time I had made the Anima pants so I knew my fit was right. However I wanted to make the ankle cuffs in cotton sateen not knit so added some metal short zips that I bought several years ago that were just waiting for this project to come along.