Hurrah! It’s Frocktober, and my first post on The Monthly Stitch! Luckily, I’m just working my way through a rather long ‘to-sew’ list of frocks. This blustery autumnal weather has revealed a gap in my homemade wardrobe: autumn and winter dresses. I’ve become an ardent admirer of a number of gorgeous Deer & Doe makes of late, but the one that I fell head over heels for was The Sureau Dress. I love the feminine shape and the vintage look of the design.
I already had this gorgeous Liberty Tana Lawn in Edenham Navy in my stash, and thought that it would work well with the pattern. I made a toile in a size 40, graded out to a 42 at the waist, and was pleased to find that the fit was good. The instructions said that Deer & Doe patterns are designed for a B cup, but I had no problem with the fit, despite being a couple of cup sizes larger. The pattern instructions were really clear, and the dress came together quickly. I added french seams on the sleeves and sleeve heads for extra strength. There’s a slight gape to the neckline that may require a minor alteration. I’d read several blogs where a gaping neckline had been highlighted, so it’s not just me. I don’t think it’s too noticable, but I would probably tackle it on the next version.
With such a vivid print, it was a challenge to find buttons that suited, without being lost in the fabric. I eventually found these green flowers, that I think added to the vintage vibe. I am really happy with the finished garment. I wanted a trans-seasonal dress that would either go with heels for work, or warm tights and boots for weekend wear. This Sureau is definitely the first of many. I’ve got some gorgeous mulberry plaid looking for a project….
For more details and other makes, I’d love to welcome you over at Sew South London!