I’ve joined the Papercut fan club…
This, if you hadn’t guessed already, is Papercut’s La Sylphide dress. I didn’t make up a muslin, which I’ve taken to doing recently, but I kinda wish I had. The fit isn’t awful, but it could be better.
The skirt pieces were far too wide for my fabric, so the skirt is not as full as on the pattern. I ended up cutting the skirt pieces less curved so that they didn’t look odd. I also lengthened the skirt, I certainly don’t have the legs for the Papercut length! There’s about 8 inches extra on the length.
The fabric is a quilting cotton, which was originally just going to be a blouse, but somehow the La Sylphide dress pattern just won over. Cutting out the fabric I noticed that it certainly frayed, it was awful with bits of burnt orange cotton everywhere, so I ended up finishing all seams using French seams.
In some ways the fabric was not the best choice, it’s obviously quite thick and stiff and so the neck tie sits a bit proud, but if I tie it well…
A great pattern, it feels fab to wear, and I get loads of compliments wearing it. I’m already contemplating number 2 from some viscose fabric I have. So I think that means I recommend it 😉 And I reckon Jo does too – she was wearing hers the same time as these photos were taken!
For more details, check out my blog.