There is nothing like a successful project to put the wind back in your sails.
I have now finished feeling blah about sewing winter wardrobe items and failing to get photos done throughout the months with shorter daylight hours. Subtropical spring has sprung in all it’s glory and I was able to scout out a choice picture spot in my neighbourhood for this make (I was only slightly embarrassed when a lady came out of her house and asked if we wanted a photo of the whole family).
The saga of my Emery: I got the fabric at Easter and then cut out this dress in June for Indie Month (the monthly stitch). Although I had made a muslin, once I got it all together I could see that the fit was not great. So I put it aside, missing Indie month, and then amnesty month – but 4 months later it’s done for Frocktober!
In the meantime I learned to draft a bodice block from my measurements. These were night classes at the local high school and were worth every penny. I discovered that I am short in the torso, above the bust. After my second muslin I also decided to use my favourite tucked sleeves from New Look 6104, which meant I needed to include the matching armscye on my bodice block too.
I have to be grateful that my vibrant lightweight sateen fabric was an end of roll. That meant I wound up with an extra metre, allowing me to recut the newly redrafted bodice and sleeves. Thankyou Brian’s fabrics.
I added a length of hugsnug seam binding on the seam allowance of the waist seam as a waist stay, purchased black overlocking thread especially and hand stitched the dress hem and sleeve hems. It has pockets:
I have to credit Mr S&S for the time spent zipping me in and out of muslins, tweak after tweak, and snapping iphone pics for me to examine. I also tried it on every step of the way when sewing up the real deal. And thanks to him for getting some fun pics in the park.
pattern: Christine Haynes Emery Dress (Indie Stitches)
fabric: printed sateen from Brian’s (Warana)
notions: hugsnug, vizzy invisible zipper, rasant thread