I did finish this a few weeks ago but I’m not too happy with it. It was my very first coat so as we all say, it’ll be better next time.
I was totally inspired by Built by Wendy, Coats and Jackets by Wendy Mullin but I should have taken more note of the style. The very low large collar is not how how want a coat. I’d like to have a much higher, tighter collar to keep out the cold. I should also have done an FBA as it is very cozy across my bust. I have only shown it on the mannequin as it just doesn’t look good on.
I do like the fabric though which was easy to work with despite being fairly open weave. The lining worked well enough and I think the bits I cut on the bias have worked up to a point. I think I should have matched the pocket flaps better and I feel a couple of patch pockets on the lower half would have ‘balanced’ the overall look more. There are actually side pockets in the seam but they don’t show in the photos.
Despite my self criticism I am pleased to have achieved a reasonable garment at a first attempt at a coat with lining and learned a lot which I will definitely put to good use for the next one.