Putting a bird on M7100 Bomber Jacket

For the put a bird on it challenge, I made McCall’s 7100 bomber jacket in a loose weave houndstooth I got from the thrift store months ago. When I picked up the fabric, I had just gotten the pattern in the mail and immediately wanted to make it up. Of course, it being a more Spring jacket, I put it off. The middle of winter and the horribly cold winter we had did not make for me wanting to make a Spring jacket. And then Spring hit and I scrambled to make a Spring jacket, because I didn’t have one.

DSC_1033

Unfortunately, the major issue with how loose the weave is in this fabric is that it also unravels so easily! I serged the entire jacket (except the welt pockets and zipper/facing). I am considering going back and binding all the seams with bias tape to prevent further unraveling, but that seems like too much work. I just zigzagged over the small holes and other seams where it looked a little like it would be creating a hole. I think I will just keep my eye out for another lightweight houndstooth or jacket material to make another and then just put the patches on that one.

I decided not to adjust the fit and I also cut out two at the same time. I should have maybe held off on cutting out the second one. Lesson learned. I trusted that the finished garment measurements would look fine on me. D’oy! FBA if I ever make a third!

I do love this jacket, though.

DSC_1031

I bought iron-on patches from an etsy seller, Tattooit, for the back shoulders. I love the look. If I didn’t already have shoulder tattoos, I might consider getting some birds.

Construction of the jacket went well. It was my first time making welt pockets. Although, I feel like these aren’t as complicated as some types of welt pockets.

DSC_1032

I think they look pretty good.

The instructions for putting in the bottom band were minimal and could have used a little more explanation for me. As a result, the bottom band is a little wonky where it meets the tabs at the bottom in both my versions. In fact, my second version is in the naughty corner currently to sit and contemplate about breaking my serging needle and not cooperating for the bottom band. Bad bomber jacket! I’ll show you it eventually.

Here is my photoshoot where I am oddly in half sun or shade, because I took these after my walk home from work and was a little sleepy and out of it? Enjoy!

DSC_1023 DSC_1021 DSC_1015 DSC_1024 DSC_1016 DSC_1014 DSC_1017 DSC_1018 DSC_1013 DSC_1026

Read more about it on my blog.

4 thoughts on “Putting a bird on M7100 Bomber Jacket

  1. I had a similar problem with a ravel-prone suiting fabric last fall, and it makes me half-afraid to wear the skirt I made with it. I think your jacket looks great and I hope you are able to stabilize it!

    Like

    • Thanks so much!

      I think the zigzagged patches helped a lot, actually. I’ve been wearing it non-stop and haven’t noticed it unravel in any more places. The main issue was it all happened in the washing machine. I’m definitely handwashing this now!

      Like

Join the conversation! :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s