Put a (British Garden) Bird on it

Here’s the fabric I bought for April’s Monthly Stitch challenge (Put a Bird on it). It’s a lovely vintage kimono silk with a subtle crane pattern on it.

And here’s my finished garment:


As you can probably tell, everything went exactly to plan.

I’d intended to make a lovely high-waisted pencil skirt, but I couldn’t find a pattern that met with my vision so unfortunately, that project has been shelved for a later date.

I bought the bird print fabric I actually used from Barry’s in Birmingham one Wednesday after discovering the Rag Market isn’t open on Wednesdays. Upsetting for me as Wednesday is my day off, so the best time for me to go. Anyway; it actually took me quite a while to realise that I’d bought a bird print and that I could use that for the April challenge. I hadn’t even thought of the challenge when buying it, I just loved the print.

I chose New Look 6184, which came from my pattern stash. It’s not something that was high on my ‘to make’ list but it seemed like a good fit for this fabric for some reason.

I made two adjustments to the pattern, firstly I did a FBA (which required me to add an extra dart as the pattern only had one) and I made the skirt panels narrower as the pattern pieces didn’t fit the width of my fabric. The skirt is very full!


The neckline is a lot higher than I would normally wear but I actually love the pleat detail and I thought the bodice fit really well.


I particularly like that the birds on the fabric are all British Garden Birds, it seems appropriate to be making garments with native wildlife on them.

I am impressed with how well this dress fits considering it is such a straightforward project to sew. I think in total it took me about two days of actual sewing, once I had finished with all the procrastinating I have to do for every project.


6 thoughts on “Put a (British Garden) Bird on it

Comments are closed.