These leggings are made from a free leggings pattern on the Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom blog. The instructions are very clear, and the pattern is well drafted and fits to size.
I wanted to make some versatile leggings for my daughter, in a neutral colour that she could wear with bright tops and skirts. Unfortunately I went wrong in my choice of fabric. I couldn’t find any nice navy knit fabrics at Spotlight, so I used some navy rib from my stash.
I tried to compensate for the ribbness (no, it isn’t a real word, but I do like it) by pulling hard on the fabric widthwise before cutting. That probably helped, but not enough. In the end I had to take 1cm from each seam, and even that wasn’t enough. The tights are still a bit too loose, and the crotch area looks quite baggy when she is standing normally.
One of the goals of the Monthly Stitch challenges is to help overcome sewing inertia, and this month it worked for me. Even thought my sewing project wasn’t a roaring success, I can still say that I have now made my first pair of leggings, I have sewn my first elastic waistband with my overlocker (serger) and I have tested out a good pattern that I will use again.
And of course as this is my first post, I now qualify to enter the June Indie Pattern challenges. Hooray!
Thanks to the Monthly Stitch Team for all the hard work you do to make the Monthly Stitch happen.