Sewaholic Davie Dress: the Perfect LBD

Hello! It’s been a while since I’ve posted here – I’ve been away from home (and my sewing machine) for school, so I haven’t been able to keep up with the challenges. I’m back with my sewing machine now, and I have a couple projects finished for Indie Pattern Month already! This week’s are basics, and I have some plans for more exciting projects later in the month.

My first project for dresses week is just a little black dress – a wardrobe staple that I was missing, until now! I used the Sewaholic Davie Dress pattern, which I wasn’t initially drawn to, but decided to try and ended up really liking. It’s a knit dress with princess seams, a keyhole opening at the neckline, and a flared A-line skirt.

I cut View A (knee length, cap sleeves) in a straight size 0, and made some modifications along the way. I made the keyhole a little smaller and widened the neckline (2″ on either side). I also found the armholes were a little low, so I took an extra 1/2″ out of the shoulder seams and a 1/4″ out of the side seams just under the arm. After letting it hang, I shortened it 2-3″, so the final length is somewhere in between view A and view B.

I also added pockets, which I cut out of woven lining fabric so that they wouldn’t stretch or be too bulky.

The fabric I used was a very substantial cotton jersey with some spandex, which I bought at Stretch-Tex in Montreal. They specialize in swimwear and activewear lycra, but I’ve been really impressed with the quality of their cotton knits.

The only notions I used were matching bias tape to finish the neckline, and Stitch Witchery for the hems and neckline. I skipped the topstitching on the seams for a cleaner look, and wanted to do the same for the hems, neckline, and keyhole, so I just pressed them with Stitch Witchery. I’ll see how well they hold up, and might end up topstitching them after all.

I’m really happy with this dress! It’s very flattering and very comfortable. I think it will be really versatile as well! Although I was unsure about the pattern when it was first released, I’ve definitely changed my mind. I have another one planned for the fall, in a deep purple ponte knit. As with all Sewaholic patterns, the instructions were very clear and the pattern was well drafted.

For more construction details and photos, have a look at my blog! Thanks for reading!

13 thoughts on “Sewaholic Davie Dress: the Perfect LBD

  1. Pingback: Muse Natalie Dress – a Little Red Dress! | The Monthly Stitch

  2. Great dress! Kudos to your sewing skills that allowed you fine tune the pattern for a perfect fit. The addition of pockets in a woven fabric, and finishing with stitch-witchery are also excellent additions. Keep up the good work, looking forward to more from you while you’re home from school. 🙂


  3. I love this dress! Just seen a very similar one on Penny, one of the judges, in the ‘meet the judges’ post – I think she might like it! I’m very tempted to buy the pattern!


Join the conversation! :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s