- Indie Pattern(s) used: By Hand London Anna Bodice and Colette’s Hawthorn skirt.
- Fabric & Notions: The fabric is 100% cotton, medium weight. I bought it at the fabric market. Blue cotton + something synthetic for the band at the bottom. Blue thread, 80s needles.
- Did you make any pattern alterations or design changes? I lengthened the sleeves, lined the entire dress, used the Hawthorn skirt pattern piece instead of the Anna skirt. Shorthened the front pleats by about three centimetres. Omitted the zipper at the back.
So, I am probably too late to take part in the contest, doesn’t really matter, I’ll just continue my path from last year, where I did exactly the same, entering too late, but I can still show off my lovely new dress, so here goes.
For this months Indie Pattern challege, the dress contest is a no brainer for me, as I mostly make dresses nowadays, I actually only wear dresses on a day to day basis, because I hate trousers so much right now, so dresses it is. You only have to put on one garment and you’re dressed, magic.
I adore the Anna Bodice by By Hand London (that just doesn’t seem right, by by, add another by and you’ve got N’Sync jumping around here, well, okay, Justin wouldn’t be to bad, I suppose 😉
Okay, on with it, I like the pleats, the boat neckline and the Kimono sleeves, they are just not long enough for my unsightly arms, so I lengthened them. In addition, I shorthened the front pleats by about 3cm, otherwise they ride up to high. I also made the neckline a little lower, because the original neckline contricts my neck and I feel choked, been there than that, never again.
I also left out the zip at the back, because I prefer to slip dresses over the head without having to bother with zipping up or down.
The dress is completely lined, in bright pink, even the sleeves, which means I ultimately made two dresses, top layer and bottom layer, and…I regret having to mention this, it is too warm for the weather we are having at the moment. I have been wearing my first Anna Hawthorn dress, which is also lined, but I used batist for the first dress, 100% cotton for the second, far too warm.
I’m not really a fan of either of the Anna skirts, they are just not flared enough for my taste, so I used the Hawthorn skirt, just like I did with my first Anna Hawthorn dress. While cutting the Hawthorn skirt out, I didn’t cut out two pattern pieces, but put it on the fold and while sewing, gathered the top to fit it to the bodice waistline.
When everything was sewn and it was time to hem, my mother thought the dress was a little short, so, to appease my dearest mom, I lengthened the dress with a plain strip of fabric.
So there you have it, a summery dress which is too warm but nevertheless a very happy make and will be worn, when it gets colder again, which I hope, will not be too soon.
If you want to see my other experiments, go here