Hi everyone! I’ve been a long-time lover of this page, but have only just worked up the courage to take pics of my own makes and share them here!
This is my Sewaholic Yaletown dress, sewn up in a vibrant poly satin. I stumbled upon a 2 yard remnant in the sale pile of a local fabric store and had. to. have. it. Huge butterflies and flowers on an orange background: what’s not to love? I held onto this fabric for several months after buying it, though, as I was searching for the perfect pattern. As you can tell, I found it! The Yaletown dress is great for fun and flowy fabrics.
The pattern actually calls for 4 yards for the dress version, but I managed to fit it on 2 yards by omitting the belt and pockets. I didn’t make a muslin, and simply sewed a straight size 12 with no alterations. I figured the wrap bodice and elastic waist would be forgiving, and I was right. I may play with the bodice length in the future, but I think the fit is great as is.
Even though this fabric is really slippery, it wasn’t too bad to sew with. I used a shorter stitch length and adjusted the differential feed on my serger to avoid puckering. Hemming was a dream because I used my serger to sew a rolled hem. I thought it would be overly complicated, but I just followed the manual’s instructions (and played a little with the lower looper tension) and it was super easy! I really like this finish, and will probably use it again on thin fabrics like this. The narrow hem is why the skirt ended up so long, but I like it for now. I figure I can always hike it up later if I need to.
In conclusion: I loooooove this dress! It was so quick to make, too. I started one evening and was done early enough the next day to run out with my sister to snap some photos in a park. Time to go make about ten more versions!
Thanks for reading! If you’d like, you can head over to my blog to see more!