For the monthly stitch’s independent pattern month separates challenge I have paired the oldest independent pattern that I own with the newest one that I have acquired – and they are both wraps!
Following hot on the heels of Me Made May (which I didn’t pledge for but thought a lot about), I’m using indie pattern month to fill in some wardrobe gaps – along with some stashbusting. Consequently I didn’t enter the IPM dresses week (so many pretty contributions!) but I definitely needed a few more separates:
I bought the make it perfect versatile wrap skirt in 2008 when it was released and this is the fourth time I’ve made it. The skirt wears well in quilting cotton and it is fun to pick a contrasting fabric for the waist ties and border hem. This time I decided to use a patchwork look cotton linen with a plain grey shot cotton (both were from Spotlight a year ago). There is no actual pattern included for the skirt, it is instructions and diagrams for measuring and cutting 3 skirt panels and then well detailed instructions for constructing the skirt. It’s pretty simple and straight forward. I used this as a ‘return to sewing’ pattern and it would probably be suitable for a beginner.
I had been interested in the papercut patterns coppelia wrap since it came out and have much admired those sewn up by various Australian and NZ sewing bloggers. I decided I really had to have it when it was released as a pdf with an additional long-line faux wrap version. I had this lightweight heathered jersey in my stash for some time, earmarked for a wrap cardigan. The PDF printing and tiling went smoothly. I used my walking foot and favourite rasant thread to baste together the shifty pieces before overlocking over the basting. It goes together quickly and neatly, packs light for travelling and works in well with my existing wardrobe. There is only one section requiring topstitching (and although mine was a bit wobbly in places, it sinks right in to the lofty fabric). I immediately followed this one up with the faux wrap version, so I hope to show that one for the ‘one pattern two takes’ week!
I decided to try out the Sewaholic Renfrew with this skirt too. It’s a stash bust and a pattern bust for me. I’ve had the pattern for a couple of years but was discouraged after my first muslin. I’m still not entirely happy with this version. I changed the shape of the armscye and sleeve head and I’m happier with that area. I also attempted a swayback adjustment but there is still a lot of fabric pooling at my lower back. I’m pretty happy with the neckline, I raised the v-neck by an inch and a half (I’m short from the shoulder to bust) and shortened the neck band to compensate. The fabric is a lovely soft Michael Miller cotton interlock. I was able to get a mid-length sleeve version out my 1m, with a little bit of creative folding. As with the coppelia wrap, all the hem finishing is done with bands, making for a quick and pretty good looking garment.
I’m pretty happy with these additions to my wardrobe and I’m also keen to get moving on what I’ve picked out for the new-to-me week.
patterns: make it perfect versatile wrap, papercut patterns coppelia, sewaholic renfrew
notions: rasant thread
This post is a direct copy of my blog post