For Round 2 of Indie Pattern Month I had considered all sorts of things, but as I’d started cutting a Gabriola for Daughter No1 before my operation (and got no further) I decided I’d finish that and whip up a suitable top. She loves the Maria Denmark Day to Night Drape Top and as her sister appropriated the other grey jersey version I made, it made perfect sense to sew up another. This is the first Gabriola I’ve made for Daughter No1, I got her to try on Daughter No2’s Winter Gabriola for size, and it nearly fell straight off! Ok – size 0 with adjustments then… I made the smallest size and then took in an extra 3cm from the waist, grading down to just past the hips. The Sewaholic patterns are drafted with more hip ease, but it was not needed here. Other adjustments were to shorten the waistband – naturally, but I think that next time I’ll make it narrower too. You’ll see in the collage that although I made the waist considerably smaller, the skirt still sits below her natural waist, causing drag marks at the back. I might even draft a shaped waistband, it may fit better. I also needed to shorten the skirt. I took out 12cm in the length and I think it’s perfect, long enough to be a proper maxi, but not so long that it’ll drag in the dirt. The fabric she’d chosen is cotton lawn with a “hippy” print, a muted colourway with paisleys and half moon shapes. It was bought from Stitch Fabrics at the NEC earlier this year, with the specific intention of making a Gabriola. I love the colours and print, it’s going to look great with a number of tops from her wardrobe and has that washed out, faded summer look. It’ll also soften with washing and I think it’s going to be well worn this season! As far as the Drape Top goes, I just cut the pattern exactly as I’d done before as I’ve made a fair few versions of this pattern now. The fabric is a dark grey jersey from my stash – never ending jersey! I never use the elastic on the armholes, it just doesn’t work with my sewing machine! As it is, the application around the neck is about as much as the poor old thing can handle. Now I thought I’d try an FBA this time around, but on checking the instructions for doing on on the website the measurements weren’t different enough. But when I look at the garment I’m sure it needs one. Daughter No 1 is happy with it though, the drag lines don’t bother her at all.
So there you have it, a bit of a stashbust and a quick sew, that’s my entry for the Separates category.