Hi all, great to be back so soon!!
This is the second week of Indie Pattern Month and we’ve got Separates to play with.
My inspiration came from fabric choice, again a buy in Athens on my recent trip, and again, a viscose but this time woven. My first instinct was for a Cascade skirt as I ‘ve made a few but have none in my wardrobe?! but then, I saw Megan’s tutorial on how to make Tania midi, and I was sold! For the top, the Briar is my preferred t-shirt and a pattern that fits me well. Also the hi-low hem goes well with the high waist of the culottes although I do prefer it tucked in. In fact, searching for a top pattern for Tania, most people out there match it with briar, not randomly I’m sure! The fabric for the top came from my stash, a very light cotton jersey that is super soft and lovely to wear. I’ve made several briar’s and one and a half Tania (the other half I managed to stupidly destroy), so I was well comfortable with both patterns.
For the culottes I followed Megan’s tutorial version 1, and added apparently too much length. My culottes ended up maxi! I like them though, they have awesome flow and it’s not so hot where I live which maybe will give me a little more wear time. So I kept the length and to make sure they stay as long as possible I did a baby rolled hem- with a special machine foot, which probably took 1/4 of the time regular hemming would take with two wide circle hems.
I kept about 8″ of ease in the hips on size S when modifying my pattern and I used size M waistband (for space for dessert ;)) Otherwise, construction was super smooth, used an invisible zipper that went in nicely on first try and is-in fact- invisible! I pinked and overlock-stitched all the seams on my sewing machine to finish the insides.
For the top, I have to be honest as most of my sewing gear is still in boxes, I had to trace the Briar out of another version I have in my current limited wardrobe. But that was easy. I’m pretty sure it is size S. I knew I didn’t want sleeves and that I would add the cuffs from the contrast-culotte fabric. But, I did not have the binding pattern piece which makes it a little random to get a good finish on the neckline. Obviously I had to do it twice! The first time my binding was too long and it was not laying flat. Second time is much improved after a lot of pressing and topstitching ( I love the contrast blue!) but it is what one might say- a kinda sexy neckline. I left the hem raw because it is nicer that way with this light fabric and I don’t think any other finish would actually achieve a clean look.
All in all, I do love this outfit 🙂 I can wear the pieces together or combine them with other garments , and I’m pretty sure they will both be great staples for the summer!
Thanks for coming by! To see more from me go have a look here.