Accidental matching separates: eucalypt + mabel

Hello everyone! It’s so nice to see so many indie pattern posts these last couple of weeks. I am definitely inspired! And congratulations to all the dresses winners!

separates-side-1

Today I’m revealing a couple of separates I’m really proud of. I didn’t really intend for them to match, as I had cut them both out on separate occasions, and only decided to put them together when the contest was announced. Here are the Eucalypt top from Megan Nielsen and the Mabel skirt from Colette Patterns. I am really enthusiastic about these two pieces for a number of reasons. First, they are both incredibly easy to sew. I took my sweet time, sewing in 15-30 minute bursts and finished in a few days, but you could easily make one of these in an afternoon from start to finish. The only notion you need is thread! Second, they fit quite well. And third, they are super comfortable, yet look quite chic.

separates-back-1

For the Eucalypt top, I chose a polyester crepe from my stash that’s about 12 years old. It’s a really beautiful fabric, and has a really nice feel and drape to it. I was really happy with the fit of Megan Nielsen’s briar top, so I cut out the same size (M). However, as I mentioned in my previous post, I lost a bit of weight as of late, so I probably could have gone with a size S. However, I am not unhappy with the fit. Because of the drape, it skims the body quite nicely. I made matching bias tape, which was the most horrible part of the whole process because this stuff does NOT want to press. Thankfully, it at least creases, so it wasn’t a complete disaster. I attached it from the inside and topstitched it on the outside, which is good practise for me because I haven’t sewn for a while. The rest went together practically within minutes, as there are only 3 seams (or two if you leave out the CF seam), and a narrow hem.

separates-front-4

As for the Mabel skirt, I had already made a (wearable) muslin and decided that I wanted to have it sit closer to my natural waist. I think I took out about 1.5cm from the center back and graded out to the backside. I also added about 3cm to the length so it would fall at the same place as the muslin. I really like the final result. It is made out of a neutral-coloured ponte knit. Ponte is a perfect match for this pattern. My only complaint is that it doesn’t leave much to the imagination. I.e.  you can see the outline of my underwear and tucked-in top. In that way, the center front seam wasn’t necessarily the best choice for this combination, as you can see the line. But it’s not enough to stop me from wearing this combo! It’s just too perfect together.

separates-front-3

While I prefer the look tucked-in, it also looks pretty good tucked out.

I also blog over at Zoe Livana Handmade. Thanks for reading. 🙂

Join the conversation! :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s