The weather is cooling down in the southern hemisphere and I’m wanting to sew and wear more knits. There are so many indie knit top patterns out there now, including quite a few recent releases. Gillian at crafting a rainbow has taken a look at some indie cropped sweaters recently.
I chose the bluegingerdoll Bonnie as it comes with quite a few options. There are 3 sleeves (flutter, 3/4 or full length), 3 necklines (crew, scoop or boat) and 2 lengths (crop or hip). Which makes for quite a few variations – most of these are similar to other fitted sweater patterns around. The flutter sleeve and gathered sleeve head are a little different though, and not the same type of gathering as the newly released Agnes by Tilly and the buttons.
As I have never used a bluegingerdoll pattern before I’m including this one as my new-to-me for Independent Pattern Month on the Monthly Stitch.
Another attraction for me to this pattern is that it is available as a PDF and offers a copy shop option. Unfortunately there were no instructions about printing with the copy shop. For some reason I was sure that it was designed for A0 (standard large scale format for Australia), but at the copy shop the pattern would not fit on A0 without scaling. I suspected the pattern pieces would be too small if scaled to fit on the A0, but there is no test square on the copy shop page to allow for checking. I emailed Abby at bluegingerdoll but received no response, so I resorted to printing out and tiling the A4 pages together.
The sewing instructions for the PDF format are a scanned copy of the paper instructions. The quality of the scan is not great, resulting in text that is difficult to read due to broken letters. Luckily I have made a few knit tops in my time and didn’t need to refer too closely to them.
For my first version I made the long sleeved, hip length option with scooped neckline – no alterations. I pulled a printed cotton knit out of my stash for this trial. It is not very soft and has low stretch, probably not the 40-50% recommended. It didn’t work very well for the neckband, which wouldn’t lie flat. I took it out and found some blue rib knit to replace it. The hem and sleeves were finished with a twin needle.
I might need to try reshaping the armscye, I have some ‘armpit whiskering’ in front and back. I could also try a sway back adjustment.
I followed this one up immediately with the boat neck view – hip length again but shorter sleeve length. This striped ponte had been waiting in my stash for some time to be a boat neck – my take on the Breton style shirt that never seems to go out of fashion.
I redrafted the sleeve head to take the gathering out for this one. I’m very happy with the result – the cutting out was a bit of a pain, deciding on what coloured stripes should go where, but the neckline went pretty smoothly. I ironed on knit stay tape before turning over and using a twin needle.
I’m pretty happy with the addition of the Bonnie pattern to my collection and can see it getting quite a bit of use.
pattern: Bluegingerdoll Bonnie
fabric: printed cotton jersey from Spotlight 2014, ponte knit from Spotlight 2013
notions: rasant thread, knit stay tape (Emma Seabrooke) for boat neck line.
This post is a direct copy from my blog