I really wanted to enter the Indie Pattern Month Contests again this year but I’ve been on a strict no fabric purchases budget this month. Luckily my mom is always saving her cast off clothing for me and gifted me this nightgown she no longer wears. The fabric was so pretty- I love the turquoise!
I’ve had my eye on trying out a Republique du Chiffon pattern for a while now. The patterns are so pretty, chic and quintessentially French. There are only a few English patterns available in their shop and this one, the Georgina dress seemed perfect for my fabric. Plus just in time to enter the New To Me Contest!
- Indie Pattern: Republic of Cloth (Republique du Chiffon) Georgina Dress, English PDF Pattern.
- Fabric & Notions: Repurposed nightgown and curtain (skirt lining), zipper in my stash(to be replaced to match)
- Sizing: I cut a 40 based on my measurements. The waist is a bit large.
- Pattern Alterations: Added 2″ to bodice after aligning the pattern with my Sloper. Lengthened my skirt a bit as well.
Here’s the best feature….check out the back panels! I love how the inner bodice is flat while the outer bodice drapes away. Excuse my zipper. It was all I had in my stash to work with and will be replaced as soon as I find a color match. I love the way the top is loose and then tightens at the waistband.
I thought a lot about pattern placement as I had limited fabric to work with. I tried to keep the floral center in the front and the stripes down the center back. I used the dresses original blue lining as the back bodice and used it to line the front bodice as well. Since the main body fabric is so sheer I used a lining on all my main pieces and basted them, treating them as one piece. The skirt lining was cut from an old curtain in a light sage color.
My only difficulties with this pattern were some alignment issues after printing which were easily remedied. The instructions were simple but easy to follow with good diagrams. I’d say this is geared toward a more intermediate sewist.
My favorite parts of this pattern are how all the seams are sewn and self enclosed. The 3 bodice pieces are sewn as one unit and then turned to enclose the side and shoulder seam. The waistband is constructed similarly with 2 pieces to enclose the edges.
I’m really looking forward to making another version soon in a solid color with the back in an accent color. I’m also thinking the bodice would be fabulous either as a jumpsuit/playsuit. Check out my blog Sew Pomona for more!