It’s the last week of Indie Pattern Month 😦 😦 It’s been so much fun, thanks for having me!!
So here I am with my final post for this month. (I’m Beth from After Dark Sewing, if you don’t recognize me by now!)
Have you heard of Spit Up & Stilettos?
Well I heard about them only recently. They sell kids clothing patterns but used to sell women’s; since that didn’t work out they now provide these patterns for FREE. So of course I had to give at least one a go. I have started with this top as it’s what caught my eye first…. and I’ve made two (so far). They’ve got loads of other free patterns; I don’t know which to do next!
Image Source: http://www.spitupandstilettos.com
I’m already singing its praises so you can probably guess that I’m happy with the pattern!
Isabella Tank I
For the first one I used a polycotton scarf I picked up at a car boot sale for 50p. The print is not something I’d usually choose or wear but I really like it on this top!
I’ll start with the finished photo, then fill you in on the construction a bit! So here it is:
I managed to get the front piece (on the fold), and all facing pieces out of it. Check out the photos; this is where all my practice with jigsaw puzzles came in to effect!
I then used a plain navy blue cotton or polycotton (not sure – I don’t remember where it came from!) for the back, which matches nicely. I juuuuust about managed to squeeze the piece on!
The pattern’s very good and I had no problems with it. Amazing for a free pattern!
The only changes I made were to take in the side seams a little, and lessen the length of the back slit. You can see a photo of the gaping at the side seams a bit further down as I didn’t adjust the pattern because it’s just as easy to take that bit in every time, haha…. so I took a photo of it with the next version.
I added a cute red button, which I was very happy to find in my button tin as it matches nicely!
Isabella Tank II
Now on to version two. The photo’s not very clear but here it is…
Now that I’d got to grips with the pattern and the fit, I could experiment (a little!)
So this version is made of two fabrics – viscose, and a crochet/lacy man-made type of fabric.
The viscose actually started life as this:
A maxi skirt I picked up in Lidl purely to cut up. I cut all pattern pieces out of this, and then the front and back pieces out of the lacy fabric.
Then I sewed the front and back pieces together, just roughly, on all sides.
This is how big the top was at the sides (I just took it in that much down to the waist, where it was fine). Not a lot – it’s a very simple fit alteration! 🙂
Ta-dah! Now it’s spot on in terms of fit; it’s really comfy.
Well, that’s me done! To the hosts of TMS (I think I speak on behalf of everyone here) THANK YOU for this month – you’ve done an amazing job. (And thank you so much for choosing me as a finalist for the 1st and 3rd weeks – I’m so pleased you like my garments!)
Beth (from After Dark Sewing!) x