This is my first post for The Monthly Stitch, and I’m popping in from Magpie Makery, right at the very end of Indie Pattern Month, to share one of my very favourite Indie patterns. I just made my third version of the Zsalya pattern from Kate and Rose.
I’m really pleased with how this one turned out. One of the best things about remaking a pattern is that you already have all the fitting adjustments made — it’s just lay it out and cut. Nice for a change 🙂 I had a very subdued floral print sheet that I thought would work nicely for this pattern, and I also had some piping that matched the red tones in the print perfectly. Thus was born my summer version.
I used the short sleeve option this time, and chose to use the “clean” finish for the yoke rather than the “quick and dirty” option — both are detailed clearly, with illustrations, in the pattern instructions and both work well, but on this one I thought that any extra bulk at the seams might show through the lightweight fabric, so chose the clean finish, which includes topstitching along the bodice curve.
I added piping to the neckline, easy since the yoke (front and back) is fully faced. Then as I was about to add piping to the sleeves I had an idea…this was my ‘eureka’ moment that gave this version something different from the two I’ve previously made. Instead of adding piping right at the sleeve edge, I added it to the facing strip, which I sewed to the inside and turned out to the outside, stitching it down along the line of piping. I really like the banded effect it’s given this blouse.
I really love this pattern. I also loved discovering in the great interview with Kati of Kate&Rose on this very site that the Zsalya is one of her own favourites too 🙂