When I looked on the internet for types of checkered fabric a variety of fabrics appeared on my screen. In my stash I had a tartan that I wanted to turn into a jacket. When I went to the fabric store in the nearby town to buy some haberdashery I saw some red fabric and I decided to make a pair of matching pants to come with the tartan.
The pair of pants were first made. The checkered fabric is used for the pockets and the finishing of the waistband. The fabric is cut on the bias to give it some stretch. The pair of pants were turned into a jeans. The jeans has all kinds of details: for the coin pocket is a single welt method used, a decorative stitch is used instead of rivets and there is a dart in the back towards the side seam.
Then I started drafting the jacket and matching the plaids. Sadly it didn’t work. When I was thinking about the August challenge and looking in fabric stash for fabric I came across a piece of cotton with all kinds of the rectangles in a variety of colors. It has a kind of retro feeling and I decided to go for a pattern that also has a retro look. I came across this lovely Burdastyle pattern and decided that was going to be the one.
The blouse was lovely to sew. The instructions were in German: not my best language, but they were clear. I’ve made some changes. Instead of pleats in the sleeve head I made gathers, I raised the neckline 1cm, made the blouse 2,5cm longer, made buttonholes to close the blouse and used elastic instead of binding tapes.
Although I original had planned to make a jacket with matching jeans this is also to my satisfaction. Both pieces go very well together, but are easy to match with other garments in my closet.
Other pictures can be seen here.