A couple of months ago I fell for a Newlook pattern, I tried to buy it about three times in Samuel Taylors in Leeds but it was always out of stock, I tried my usual on-line pattern shop, out of stock! I finally found it in a little sewing shop on line, I bought it immediately. About a week later I found out why…it was free with a sewing magazine!!!
It has a pretty blouse/top with three variations and a pencil skirt (nothing exciting with the skirt but they’re always useful!) I decided to make the short sleeved version.
I chose a length of fabric from my stash, it’s a pale blue cotton with grey and pink blossom design, to me it looks vaguely oriental, maybe it reminds me of the Japanese cherry blossom. I bought it in B&M Fabrics in Leeds market, they had at least three different colour-ways and I was torn between the blue and a soft mauve, for once the blue won!
The pattern went together really easily. It has button loop fastenings which are the first things to make, I was pleased I bought a rouleaux loop turner at WI last year. To neaten the inside I used French seams on the side seams, I used the overlock stitch on my sewing machine on all the other open seams, I haven’t used it before but I liked the finish it gave, a lot flatter and neater than plain zigzag, I’ll certainly use it again.
I think the only thing I did which wasn’t on the pattern instructions was to top-stitch the yoke…oh and I changed half way through to the sleeveless version. I was trying it on for fitting before I started sewing the sleeves and decided I liked it as a sleeveless top.
I made some self cover buttons, initially I was going to fussy cut some with flowers on, but half way through the first one I decided plain blue would look better, I think that was the right decision, they look really neat.
I made the pattern with what is becoming my standard of a size 12 top half increasing to size 14 over my hips. It fits really well, it’s lovely to wear and as it turns out it makes a nice outfit with the navy skirt I made a few weeks ago.
I was so pleased with it I cut out version two immediately. This time I chose a lovely soft batik cotton, I love the colours and it feels gorgeous. The only change I made was to the neck and sleeve edge. I decided that rather than using the bias as a facing, I would stitch it as a decorative bound edge. I’m still not sure which method I prefer! I found some pretty buttons that look like pale blue glass, I wasn’t sure about the sparkly bits at first, but once they were stitched on I loved them, they just add that little bit of light.
So if you are one of the thousands who got this pattern for free, it’s worth stitching! There’s more photographs and details on my Crafty Creek blog if you’d like to come and visit.