Happy Birthday to The Monthly Stitch! I wouldn’t want to miss the party, even if I’m a bit late.
I can explain about that– I had a completely different, somewhat elaborate plan for this challenge that I pursued until. . . well, until I had an idea for a project that I was more motivated to sew. Sometimes careful, methodical planning works really well for me, and sometimes I lose interest in my plans. So, new plan: I upcycled two garments to make two Deer and Doe Datura Blouses using two additional fabrics. Yay!
This year in my sewing I’ve focused on finding the proportions and silhouettes that I really love to wear. I kind of lost my way there for a while with most of the garments I sewed in 2014, quite the downer. The two garments I upcycled for this challenge are shapes that I like in theory, and on other people, but not on me. The fabrics, on the other hand, I love.
original Papercut Saiph Tunic:
hacked off, still not right:
original Schnittchen Sophie:
The Datura yoke is fully lined. I used a pale pink cotton batiste for the yoke linings on both blouses. For the body I used a linen cotton blend that looks silver on one side and navy with a hint of silver on the other side. I went back and forth about using both sides of this interesting yet subtle fabric, but in the end I used the navy as the right side for both blouses. Instead of topstitching the yoke seams I stitched in the ditch for a more invisible appearance. I was able to make enough bias tape from the green Sophie to finish both hems. The buttons are also the same. I got them from a market stall in London, I believe in Greenwich, on the South bank of the Thames, where I was a tourist with my family about a year and a half ago.
The Datura shape works well for me, even though Deer and Doe patterns are designed for an hourglass shape and a C-D cup and I’m most definitely a pear shape and A cup. I graded out one size at the waist and hips, otherwise no changes. I like the fit in the upper chest and the bust shaping. I could fill out the bust more, of course, but I like the loose fit as is.
I did have trouble sewing the shoulder seams as instructed. They look a bit lumpy. When I made Datura the first time several months ago, I didn’t follow the instructions and just did my own thing– those shoulder seams look lovely. I wish I could remember what I did! Next Datura I’ll think carefully about how I want to construct the yokes.
Alright, thanks for having me, and again happy happy birthday!