While this month’s theme would have been the perfect vehicle for any of Capital Chic‘s “Cocktail Collection” (I’ve had my eye on the “White Russian” sweater for aaaaaageess), I didn’t have the time or the right fabric for any of them. So instead I went for a quick refashion with a cocktail inspiration.
I originally bought this tunic ($3, I think, it’s been in the refashion pile for some time) because it reminded me vaguely of the Macchu Picchu cocktail I’d seen years ago, holidaying in Peru. I realised later the colours were all wrong, but I still really liked the ombre effect of the fabric.
Last week when I finally caught up on some blog reading, I saw the January Challenge and immediately thought of this tunic. A quick search of the interwebs led me to believe the colours were in fact more along the lines of an upside-down Black Velvet – but I was still in the realm of layered cocktails! (Not that I’m a big drinker, mind, but they are pretty!)
I was determined to try and hit every challenge this year (which is a big call as this is a massive year for me!) so I ripped this out over the weekend.
Back I went to my trusty retro Butterick 6572, which has been a bit of a workhorse pattern for me. For this version I skipped the front placket and drafted a facing instead.
There was a slight shortage of fabric across the bust – the tunic was a small size – but a little gusset under the arms and a cap at the top of each sleeve took care of that. I used the original hemline, to save both time (no unpicking, no hemming!) and fabric. I took the time to understitch the neck facing – a process I highly recommend as it achieves such a great result. This fabric was a slippery polyester which did give me some greif. (And unpicking all the beading on the original sleeves was a bit of a nightmare, too!)
For this and a some other sewing room adventures, come on over to the blog!