Flower Power/Yellow Peril

IMG_3759

As soon as this was announced I knew exactly which stash piece to use.

I purchased this fabric on eBay almost exactly a year ago for no other reason than it was the cheapest real silk I had come across.I think it was a design test as the 3 metre piece I purchased was a single print i.e. it had four selvedges.

I wa originally going to use it as a lining for something but never did, so when I saw ‘Flower Power’ as the monthly challenge I knew its moment had come as a true flower power maxi skirt . The pattern I used was a lengthened version of the lace skirt pattern from the GBSB Fashion with Fabric book. I used this pattern because I wanted instructions for lining the garment and in that respect it worked well. The pattern is relatively simple and the directions are easy to follow.

The fabric is a medium weight silk crepe but really needed lining in order to be decent and I bought some single yellow jersey to give a bit of weight as a lining. This also fulfils the brief of using 2 fabrics .

 

IMG_3750

The only real problem I had was with the insertion of the zip. I wasn’t happy with my first version so decided to try again with an invisible zip. 11 !! iterations later I had a result I was moderately happy with.

I have hemmed the skirt with 5 rows of topstitching to make it bottom heavy so it hangs nicely, the weight of the silk combined with the weight of the single jersey works well. Peace and love….( I still have nearly 2 metres of this fabric left..)

4 thoughts on “Flower Power/Yellow Peril

Join the conversation! :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s