It feels like forever since I posted here, but I’m feeling quite inspired by Indie Pattern Month this year. I thought I might have trouble finding a pattern from a company I hadn’t sewn from yet to fit into this week’s theme, but when I looked through my pattern stash, I realized I had multiple options.
My style is definitely vintage-influenced, especially when it comes to dresses in the summer-time. I’ve been intrigued by Sew Over It patterns for a while since they have that vintage-inspired look I’m always drawn too. I recently had bought the Doris Dress pattern, but hadn’t acquired any fabric specifically for it yet, so I went looking through my stash for something suitable. My first choice was a gorgeous black challis with large red roses on it. Unfortunately, I was short about 1/4 yard of what I needed to make it into this dress. I wouldn’t have thought it would be such a fabric-hog, but it definitely is. When I finally gave up on the challis, I completely changed directions and found this blue and white classic seersucker, of which I had plenty.
The fabric I ended up using has a much stiffer drape than the challis would have, but I like the effect with the fullness of the skirt. I maybe should have lined it, but I didn’t realize exactly how sheer the fabric would be. So long as I wear a slip, I should be able to preserve my modesty.
I made a size 18, and the only pre-cutting adjustment I made was a small sway-back alteration. I feel like it fits pretty well, but to keep things from pulling at the buttons I stitched down the front placket. I perhaps should have done a full-bust adjustment, but with the low scoop of the neckline, I think it might start to gap there if I did the FBA. Probably it would take a muslin or two to work things out. Having stitched down the placket, the buttons are purely decorative and there are no buttonholes. Yes, I know this seems like a waste of a shirt-dress style, but I don’t need them to be functional. There’s a side zipper included in the pattern so I can get in and out of it. If I was nursing a kid I might choose to do things differently, but at this point in my life, anyone besides my husband who would be checking to see if the buttons on my placket have corresponding button-holes would be standing way too close. The buttons are inherited from my Grandma’s stash, so they feel a little special to me.
The other alteration I made to the pattern was to throw the pocket piece from the Cake Tiramisu dress into the right side skirt seam. I left the pocket off the left since it would be a pain to work around the zipper on that side. The pocket is mainly for my phone, so I don’t usually use both pockets in a dress, even when I have pockets on both sides.
Since I’d never used a pattern from So Over It, I made sure to look at the instructions while I was sewing so I could give some sort of review of them. They were lovely and comprehensive, but not so detailed as to be annoying to me. I didn’t necessarily follow all the instructions; for instance, I hemmed the sleeves before I sewed up the bodice side seams. I have the printed version of this pattern, and I find the overall feel of it to be reminiscent of By Hand London’s printed patterns with the same type of envelope and the instructions in a stapled booklet form.
Overall, I’m a little bit in love with this dress right now. I have a couple other Sew Over It patterns also in my stash, and now that I’ve put together this one, I’m more excited to move forward with using them.
One last thing, the photos here need to be credited to my 8 year-old daughter, Guinevere. She did a great job.