Seachange

Well, it really has been the longest time since my sewing plans collided with The Monthly Stitch – way too long! But I was very well pleased when I realised I could post this fabulous little statement piece as part of Indie Month AND New To Me.

P1280550

I’ve made the Sea Change Top, designed by the endlessly chic Debbie from Lily Sage and Co. It’s certainly a head turner, and I couldn’t be more pleased with it. It’s designed to be made in both knits and woven fabrics, and Debbie gives direction on the different types of finishes, particularly on the neckline, that will suit each fabric type. I chose to use a knit, a cotton (apparently but my iron hints at a blend) from the Fabric Store in Melbourne. It has lovely drape but is quite heavy, making it a nice layering piece for colder weather.

 

27480062936_06a3f43fb7_k

I was fortunate to be able to try on my friend Anna’s Sea Change (Anna also took these photos for me, thanks lovely xx) and it fit me well, so I made mine very similar. I made a size small, and added an extra inch in body length through the sleeves (which meant I had to add an extra 2 inches to the length of the armbands). I also did a forward shoulder adjustment of about 15mm, a common adjustment for me especially on garments with a bateau neckline. There really isn’t a huge amount of difference in the different sizes – being such a loose oversized garment I’d be focussing more on what length would suit rather than the width. One could also add length at the hem band.

27415630272_0bd3b593bc_k

Due to my bold stripe I made some very small adjustments to the proportions of the sleeve bands and hem band, so that I used whole stripes for each section. This took a lot of careful planning! I also wanted to bind my neckline in a navy strip. To ensure as perfect a lineup as possible I first sewed the part of the armband/hem band that would be visible on the right side, than did a second pass to attach it on the wrong side. I overlocked the edges in a matching navy because I knew the arm seams in particular would be visible at times. When I make this again (because I will!) in a woven I will most likely do french seams for the armholes.

27415634422_e294bbc874_k

Another terrific feature of this pattern is that it comes in copy shop format. Hallelujah! Yes it might add a few more dollars to the cost of the pattern but right now for this girl time is money, so it is a very welcome option.

26905305384_d7e57fbea1_k

I made this Deer and Doe Plaintain to wear underneath it but it’s not quite the right underlayer being a scoop neck. Maybe I need a nice navy merino top in either a turtle neck or a boat neck. Mmmm merino. I’ll be posting soon about this little outfit over on my own blog, including a very nifty sleeve adjustment I made to the Plaintain to help with my forward shoulders.  TTFN!

7 thoughts on “Seachange

Join the conversation! :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s