I knew I had to make this dress. I received it twice in the Indie Pattern New to Me pattern swap; as a printed pattern and as a PDF. And I thank both of my swap partners for sending me this pattern. I knew right away exactly what fabric to use for this dress.
I don’t usually make knit dresses but this pattern mixed it up with both knit and woven fabrics. And I love it! I used a striped cotton ITY knit from one of Girl Charlee’s Knit Fix for the bodice. I thought the stripes were vertical but surprise! they were horizontal. But it worked out just fine. The yoke was a left over piece of crystal purple ponte knit I got from Fabric Mart. And the skirt part I used an African Ankara wax cotton print that had all my favorite colors–teal blue, purple, silver and brown. Mixing prints, well, that’s new to me. I have always wanted to make a dress for myself with different prints but never got around to do it. This was the best opportunity.
Now the pattern, the Washington dress. It took all of three hours to put it together. I cut the bodice size 14 with the cup size C/D, the yoke size 16 and graded to a size 20, and the skirt size 20. Normally I wear a cup size B, so I was not so sure how it would fit, but it fits quite comfortably, and sassy. Cashmerette did a fantastic job on the instructions. I love the way the neck band is put in and fits. I was a little skeptical about the length of the bodice, I felt at first it was too high waist for my taste but it worked out just fine. I might add about two inches in the bodice length the next time (and yes, there will be another dress) just to see how it would look. All in all, I am in love with this dress.
So with much ado, these are some of the pictures my dear husband was willing to take of me and my Washington Dress.
Stopping to smell the roses.
You can find me, now and then, over at Sew on and Sew on and Sew on.