Since seeing this cute top on pinterest, I’ve had it on my sewing list to make one for myself. The Margo Blouse quickly came to mind as a pattern I could use as a jumping off point. Thank you Indie Pattern Month for pushing this project to the top of the list.
I’m calling this one a success! With just a few minor missteps working with these fabrics, I found the fruition of my idea came along pretty easily.
The Pattern: The Margo Blouse from Blue Dot Patterns. I used the straight hem version with the 3/4 length sleeve in a size small. After making my modifications to the yokes, I followed the pattern directions for an easy finish.
The Fabric: 1/2y of rayon/spandex jersey and 1/2y black mesh. I also used 3/8in elastic in the sleeve hems as directed and 5/8in FOE at the neckline.
1. I eliminated the front button placket and added my own button placket to the back, made from the jersey knit. I cut the back yoke in half at center back and added a 1in x 4.25in finished placket piece to each edge. I overlapped the plackets, basted along the bottom and then attached the yoke to the bodice as normal.
2. I raised the neckline at center front by 2.5in and smoothed out the curve.
3. I used FOE to finish my neckline (the pattern has yoke facings as a finish) and French seams at the shoulder and sleeve seams.
Next time I would raise the seamline across the front about 3/4in, it just looks a little low to me with the shear fabric. I would also only raise the neckline at center front by 2in instead of 2.5in, it feels a little high.
Visit and follow my blog, mahlicadesigns, to see what else I’ve been up to.