I didn’t think I would be able to post anything during Hack It week on the Monthly Stitch, hacking patterns is not something I generally do. I might add the odd pocket or turn a top into a dress, but nothing really big.
So how do you change a kids pattern into an adult pattern. A printer, a photocopier and a lot of sticky tape. I also used an existing pattern that I knew fitted to compare and contrast. I enlarged the pocket and top half of the trouser pattern by 120% and extended the crotch at the front and the back.
I then did something I never do, made a muslin and it’s a good job I did because I needed to add a 3cm insert if I wanted to get the trousers over my hips.
Here’s the pocket details I love so much.
I think I may need to move the button down a little. The dark blue is a lovely bamboo cotton mix and the light blue is linen (I hope they wash well together), both crease like it is going out of fashion. I did think about changing they from elasticated to a fitted waistband, but that was just going to be too complicated in the timescale given. And finally a sympathy shot, Hagrid got an ouchie last week chasing after Bonnie, who was chasing after a squirrel.
Come over and check out my blog if you like.