I finished my striped sundress just in the nick of time. The stripes get a bit washed out in bright sunlight, but up close you can see them:
This dress is an original 1949 design using vintage Vogue 8974. I love the elegant length of this dress and the vintage side-snap detail on the side seam:
I learned new techniques with this project. Firstly, I stitched French darts into the bodice front. Unlike regular darts, French darts form seams on the front of your bodice. They were a bit tricky to get right, though, and the fit on my bodice suffers, unfortunately.
Other than the less than ideal fit issue, the rest of the dress came together nicely and I enjoyed this entire process. The second skill I learned was how to attach snaps. I used a Dritz snap fastener pliers. Unfortunately, my Dritz tool already broke. Does anyone have a better tool they can recommend? I was not impressed with the quality of the Dritz tool. Anyway, the back of the dress features a pretty criss-cross detail with the straps.
I’m not sure of the fiber content of the outer layer of fabric, but it was very inexpensive. I bought it for only $4/yard at Michael Levine’s in Los Angeles. Because the other layer is see-through (as you can see in the straps) I underlined the fabric using a peach skin tone polyester. I did this by hand basting the lining to all of my pattern pieces before stitching them together. I think the two fabrics layered over each other is quite beautiful. All in all, I’d call it a success.
Now I can start planning 3 iterations of something for the August challenge! For more on this and other projects, please visit my blog at See Carmen Sew.