Some patterns just work. They are versatile and totally fit with your style and you want one in every color. For this month’s challenge (my first!) I decided to feature 3 of my “Tried ‘N’ True” patterns- all of which I have made in 3 different versions. Without further ado, here they are!
Sewaholic- Hollyburn Skirt
This skirt is a holy grail pattern for me. It’s outrageously easy but looks fantastic. It has 3 different length and flare options, and POCKETS! You can also further personalize it with the included button tab or belt loop patterns. It’s just a winner all around. For these reasons, I can’t seem to stop making them (and I have even more planned for the future!)
My first Hollyburn was made with a matte satin and featured on my blog. I included button tabs with wooden buttons and used an invisible zip. I used view B for the length.
I loved this skirt so much, I went ahead and made another, in view C without any extra features. I used a bottom weight fabric I found on clearance at Joann Fabrics for this one and it has a very different vibe than the first:
Finally, I took the difficulty level of this super easy pattern up a notch by using a very slinky bubble crepe fabric from Fabric.com and adding a lining made of polyester china silk. I LOVE this skirt, even though in the process of hemming, my lining ended up much short than I hoped for. The china silk produces a very satisfying swishing noise that makes me feel rather fancy! The hem is finished with bias tape, because curve hems are the bane of my existence. This version is view B, like the first!
The blouse you see in this photo is the perfect transition into my next TNT pattern…
This blouse makes me so happy. It was the first pattern I ever made with a row of buttons and I was terrified. I made two versions of it before finally cutting into my fancy lady fabric! However, for the sake of seamless transition I’ll talk about my most recent version first.
The “fancy lady blouse” is true love for me. I love the contrasting collar, the vintage-looking crepe fabric, and the fabric covered contrasting buttons. It fits beautifully and was fun to make! I bought the fabric for the blouse from Fabric.com, except for the facing fabric which is from Joann Fabrics. I made my own covered buttons using leftover fabric from the collar. The collar and the buttons are made with leftover fabric from the Hollyburn skirt I am wearing with the blouse. I used a cream colored lightweight polyester for the facings, since the print would have shown through the blouse if I used the main fabric for facings. I bought a very nice, luxurious, sheerweight interfacing as well. I went all out on this one! I finished the hem with satin bias tape I bought on Etsy. I omitted the sleeve pleats and simply used a double fold hem.
Working from the most to least recent, next up is a Mimi Blouse that I made as a gift for my mom’s birthday. The fabric is a Robert Kaufman cotton lawn. The buttons, if you look closely you can see them, are vintage from the 1960s- I got them on Etsy.
I omitted the sleeve pleats and simple did a double fold hem on the sleeves. I haven’t given her the finished project yet, but I hope she likes it! The fabric isn’t quite my style, but I hope it works for her!
Finally, the first Mimi Blouse I made was this casual, comfy little number made with Robert Kaufman cotton lawn, solid navy lawn for the facings, and vintage 1960s buttons from Etsy. I love the way the contrasting buttons brings out the colors in the birds on this fabric. This blouse is also great for summer, and it’s the first garment I have ever bothered to use hand sewing on.
I really love that all three of these blouses are SO different but made with the exact same pattern. It’s a versatile pattern that I love to wear. I hope my mom loves to wear it too! Here is a shot of all three together, looking fabulous and very distinct from one another!
My final TNT pattern is another favorite by Tilly Walnes…
This dress is my favorite “secret pajamas” pattern. I feel so comfortable and relaxed when wearing it, but get tons of compliments whenever I do. The first version I made was with a polka dot chambray from Gertie’s line with Joann Fabrics. I made no alterations, other than increasing the seam allowance a bit around the hips. You can read more about it on my blog.
For my next Bettine, I used a rayon challis from Joann Fabrics that I got on clearance for dirt cheap! I only had 2.5 yards, so I had to improvise. I made it work by ignoring pattern matching (which I suck at anyway, so no worries there!) and by adding a seam down the back of the bodice. I lengthened both the bodice and the skirt on this version. I used the same wood buttons I included on my first Hollyburn (I have like 50 of them, after all.) You may also notice that the cuff isn’t turned up, that’s because I messed up using this fiddly fabric and just went with it!
Last but not least, I made another Bettine this past Saturday. I had not planned on making another one just yet, but I discovered that I live very close to Pink Castle Fabrics and when I popped in to check it out, I saw this Robert Kaufman cotton lawn with sweet little bicycles on it which I have been coveting on the internet. It seemed meant to be, so I got 2 yards, even though Bettine really calls for about 3. I grabbed a 1/2 yard cut of a clearance quilting cotton to use for the pocket lining and facings. I LOVE the contrast used in this way, and it helped save some money and it feels like a fun little secret.
I also added a seam down the front. I meant to do this down the back but clearly I was too distracted when cutting, so I made it work. This version also has a lengthened bodice and skirt, like the rayon version.
I hope you’ve enjoyed seeing my TNT patterns and the various ways I have made them unique. For more of my makes, check out my blog!