This is my first post on The Monthly stitch but I’ve been obsessing over everyone’s makes for some time!! I had some of this gorgeous floral polycotton left from making this 1970s vintage dress. I knew floral was going to be a winner for this make.
So I printed a pattern for some PJ bottoms from Martha Stewart thinking it would fit in quite nicely with the Nighty Night September challenge.
To say I’m pleased with myself would be an understatement! I know that this is just a basic PJ bottom pattern but it is such an achievement for me! Every time I have tried to make anything resembling trousers or shorts, it has gone terribly wrong, including some wonky seams on a pair of PJs I tried from this very same pattern. These worked! I’m so pleased to have a functional, fitting pair of PJ pants! Woo! 🙌
I used narrow seams and zig-zagged the edges. I also had my first try at button holes (which need some major improvement) in order to put this ribbon in, purely for decorative reasons. I created the waist band and inserted the elastic before sewing it shut. I did a nice thick hem on the bottom of the legs after measuring legs and I’m so so pleased with the result.
I used the XL size on the pattern (I’m a 16 bottom usually) but it needed extremely small seams to fit me. It meant that the waist band was too small so I had to recut it, they’re a great fit though! I would recommend that you grade up this pattern if you wanted them bigger.
This fabric is so soft, comfy and easy to work with that I have just ordered some more in red! I think there may be some red floral PJs under the Christmas tree for some lucky people this year!
Now that my first Monthly Stitch post is done, I’m settling down for the night with a glass of wine, my lovely hubby and Sherlock! In my new PJs of course!