Yay! It’s been a while since I finished and posted anything, and I happened to have a few dress UFOs lying around, so the Frocktober theme seemed like the best way to get back into the sewing mode.
I was religiously checking Burdastyle every day when Kathleen introduced her Simply Shift dress. I was seduced by the many pretty and practical iterations and the promise that you could make it with just a yard of fabric!
So last winter I dug through the stash and found all fabrics that were around and equaled a yard in length. I compared and considered and decided on the green microsuede, a winter fabric if ever I saw one, and one that I would not cry over if this dress did not turn out.
The pattern tops off at size 12, one size smaller than my hip measurement. With a bit too much optimism I cut out the largest size in broadcloth, intended for the lining, as a test run. My suspicions were confirmed when this attempt came out too small. To allow movement I unpicked the back seam a few inches for a vent.
When I got to the microsuede I jacked out the hip measurement an inch or so, as far as the 58″ fabric would allow. I decided to nix the zipper and then the dress pieces lay forgotten for a nine month gap…
… and then I waffled on sleeves (because without the seams it had the option to be a slightly cap/ kimono sleeve effect). So I measured my head and sewed a 1.5″ seam allowance, trimmed the extra and pow! I could pull it over my head without a closure!
After a few days contemplation (I really pushed to finish this one to wear to church) I nixed the sleeves, discovered that the naps of the front and back were running in opposite directions, realized that I’d forgotten to take into account that I’d cut the pieces on the fold (thus creating a little fold in the front and back of the neckline), unevenly topstitched the neckline and armholes, and messily hemmed and thus finished the dress at 2am. I wore it to church the next day and here we are today!
For a few more photos and much the same written content, the blog.