Unstashed Green Velvet

I got this really lovely pattern in my email back in the Autumn and never got round to making it. Its a free So Sew Easy pattern. I have collected loads of these free patterns from Deb and Mayra at So Sew Easy but never, until now, got round to making one. I love this kind of dress though. It was the wardrobe staple of my youth and I made loads of versions. Obviously, not from this particular pattern since that was new when I got it, but it was a popular dress style at the end of the 1970’s into the mid-80’s. I used to make my own of course but to do that I used to draw round an existing dress. So anyway, when I had this arrive in my inbox I had to make it. The Monthly Stitch unstashed challenge came along so why not?

I actually sewed this up on Twelth night hence we are in the process of taking down the decorations which you can just about see in the background and I am wearing exercise-wear under this dress so it is not shown at its best really. Having said that though I will probably wear it as a T-shirt over some kind of trousers or leggings for the next few months so this is how it will look till the spring comes.

After making my So Sew Easy dress – which was very easy- I had some more velvet left so rather than stash it I decided to make a slip dress from the rest of it. After all, the #TMS unstashed challenge is supposed to be about not stashing the fabric you bought at Christmas. I bought this just after Christmas with the idea of making something to go out on New Years Eve and made sequin tops instead so best to use it all up because my fabric stash is already large enough to get me through an entire year of sewing without adding anything to it!

This dress is from the November 2016 issue of Burda Magazine and is dress 113.  For some reason I particularly like this issue of Burda which is weird because I did not buy it when it came out but instead bought it off ebay just after Christmas when I bought my fabric as part of an ebay buying binge. I have cut out several items from this issue and it looks to be a favourite since I also traced lots of patterns ready to cut later so its an epic mag for some reason despite my originally not liking anything in this issue!

And it works just as well with a T-shirt! Unfortunately my fluorescent yellow top did not show well on this photo!  We have a small frosting of snow today. It does not show on our patio where the pictures were taken, but the grass is slightly frosted like a Christmas card here and there, so its pretty cold outside, and I was not going to spend any longer freezing for pictures so these will have to do.

I left out the back frill on this dress because I think it will be much more wearable for every-day life without with the frill included and I want to wear this. Its a bit too party-ish with the frill. The facings are black stretch crepe. Its all overlocked and twin needle hemmed. I found the Burda instructions a complete muddle. Burda made an easy pattern very difficult, put it that way. Everything was in the wrong order and I would make it completely differently next time and I expect to make several of these in different fabrics because its lovely. Its meant to be cut on the cross but I did not do that because I thought it would look a bit weird being velvet, but the next one, I would probably do it on the cross.

I think its a lovely dress which can be worn with trainers and a bike jacket or to go out on the town. What I did not realise until I had made this was there is a fault in the fabric:

Its just above knee level. I am toying with cutting the bottom off and shortening the dress to get rid of this but when I asked my other half he could not see this so maybe I am the only one who will notice. I have yet to decide if I will shorten it but it does seem a shame because its a risk. Shortening things can look great but I am rarely sure until I do it and some lovely dresses and skirts have been ruined when I have done this so now I am a bit in a quandary. If I had realised I would have designed my cutting to avoid it but I never noticed until I had finished hemming the dress. So, to shorten? Or not to shorten?  There is more on my blog here: http://brackencrafts.blogspot.co.uk/

 

 

3 thoughts on “Unstashed Green Velvet

  1. Thank you. No the fault is hardly noticeable hence I found it right at the end of making. Yes I have particularly found this issue very good. I have stacks of sewing mags yet tend to use the same patterns over and over. I have no idea why I like this issue so much but apparently I do.

    Like

  2. Lovely dress. Such a shame about the fabric fault. It really isn’t noticeable – I think we notice too much as we look so closely at what we sew. I’ve got this same issue of Burda – haven’t made anything from it yet, but there are several patterns in there that look good.

    Like

Join the conversation! :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s