I’ve kept it simple this month, because how on earth is it almost April already??? Seriously, where is this year disappearing off to?
Unbelievably, I’ve never made a Grainline Scout Tee before. Or, as far as I can recall, anything by Grainline Studios.
So thanks to this challenge I’ve now got another couple of Scout Tees and three Moss Mini Skirts in my sewing queue. (The Moss skirts are also partly due to the lovely Liberty Cord I snapped up at the Knitting & Stitching show the other week, you can share the blame, haha!) Speaking of my sewing queue, I’ve recently laid out the projects I have planned to sew imminently on my dining table which my husband is totally thrilled about.
Here’s a picture:
Only a few to be getting on with! And yes, for the eagle eyed among you – there is also a project (a Sophie Cardi) sitting on the back of the sofa I’m currently working on too!
There’s not that much I can really say about the construction of a garment that only has four pattern pieces – not that you wouldn’t already know, anyway – so I won’t dwell on that.
Finish wise, I chose to do french seams. I find a nice, neat french seam really satisfying. Jen from Grainline has a blog post titled French all your seams which shows you how to do french seams on armholes. It seems this is apparently not considered ‘correct’ practice by some, so of course I was all for it. It’s a teeny bit fiddly, especially as I don’t have a tailors ham, but otherwise just as straightforward as any other french seam.
Fit wise; I cut a straight size 10, but feel it’s got a little too much room in the shoulders, and at the waist. So basically I need to cut a smaller size and do a full bust adjustment, but the options for those are limited on a dartless bodice and usually result in adding a dart. Which changes the look and feel of the top entirely. I have found an option I think I will try next time which doesn’t add a dart, but to be honest I can’t get my head around how it works. Pattern alterations are things I wish I understood a lot more – especially since I seem to do them so often. It would be nice to understand why I’m doing what I’m doing, rather than just blindly following a tutorial. I’d like to do a course on pattern making and fitting at some point.
The other change I will make for my next Scout tee is to lengthen it slightly. Unusually for me, I looked at the pattern pieces and thought they looked about right, so I didn’t lengthen by my standard two inches that I normally stick onto everything.
I don’t think it will need that much, maybe just an inch, but a teeny bit extra length would make me feel more comfortable. It doesn’t look all that short in the pictures, I know, but when you bear in mind that the jeans I’m wearing are high waisted…
There will definitely be more Scouts to come though, it’s the kind of wardrobe basic I need in every colour and print, and potentially one I can use up some of my offcuts from other projects with. The bias neckband takes up quite a bit of room on the fabric layout, but if you were being fabric frugal I think you could probably use pre-made bias as it doesn’t actually show on the outside of the top.
And a final note in case you’re wondering about the beautiful views behind me in these pictures: I took them this weekend on a road trip across the Snake Pass in the Peak District, using my new iPhone (it has a really good camera!). My parents are lucky enough to live near this part of the country.