I am hoping I have interpreted the rules correctly when I made this outfit for the “Tools by Hollie” competition with The Monthly Stitch. I understood it to be that we are each making something we would wear with the prizes. Looking at the other entries I am wondering if I was meant to make something black and white rather than to go with the black and white accessories.
So: for the black and white entry I made this outfit:
The jacket is McCalls M7482 except I accidentally reversed the pattern! Instead of the contrast I used a layer of black fishnet. Because I reversed the pattern I found it was much harder to make than probably it would have been the right way round because my head couldn’t cope!
Its kind of sportswear, very 90’s. I had several problems with the jacket in particular putting in the zip because it is wavey, but I have gone out in this and felt good despite a few problems with making it. I am also quite pleased since just a year ago the jacket would definitely have been beyond my skill level. It is still not perfect but I intend to make a second one and hopefully correct the defects.
I decided to use fabric I had in my stash which is a very boring cheap fluourescent crepe. I used the reverse which is smooth and reminds me of shell fabrics. It gives an almost sweatshirt inside which is nice. You can see the crepe side of the fabric here:
The wrapover collar has a small snap fastener inside which keeps it in place.
The cuffs have thumb-holes!
When I bought the pattern I never realised and I have been meaning for ages to get round to making cuffs with thumbholes. And they are brilliant. Its turned cold again in the UK and its great having attached hand warmers!
To make these I first sewed to where the pattern is marked and then turned right side out and pinned into place and then hand sewed the holes together and then attached the facing to the edge of the seam by hand.
Its neater on the outside than it looks from these photos!
The inside bits:
The problem is the zip which is a bit “wavey” and I cannot get to lie right so in the end I have decided to live with it and try to get a better zip-finish next time because I will definitely be making a second version of this jacket.
I made the trousers using Burda Style high-waisted flares 11/2015#107A. They are made using a heavy ribbed fabric with a side panel of faux leather. Except despite it being in fashion, I personally hate high waisted clothing so I initially followed the natural waistline and cut about 3 inches off the pattern to make it a normal level waist and added my seam allowance. Once I tried them on I then took a further inch or so off the front to lower the waist even further. It sits on my own natural waistline.
I had some problems taking photos in a confined space!
There is an elastic waistband and I left out the zip since my fabric is very stretchy and I didn’t need one.
The entire garment is overlocked except for the hems which are twin needle stitched and the elastic is attached using a twin needle stitch as well and then turned over and top stitched using twin needle stitching.
This is the inside of the trousers:
Hems twin needle stitched
I absolutely love the trousers which I can see being a major part of this summer’s wardrobe and the jacket is just lovely despite a few defects. This outfit makes me feel good. It all still far from perfect but I do feel like I am now starting to make things I find very wearable. So this is my “Black and White” entry for the “Tools by Hollie” competition.
The great thing about these challenges is that I actually get round to finishing things rather than spend months thinking about how good it will be to finally finish and wear the garment!
Thanks for reading