I had meant to post about this particular make back in the “Through The Decades” month back in February. The pattern I used was an Etsy buy – quite a find as it’s hard to get hold of 1970s jeans patterns. I suppose that not that many people are dedicated jeans stitchers and I’m not surprised, considering how long I took to make this. There are two views on the pattern and I picked the button-fly version for my make.
I used a dark indigo 100% cotton denim from Sewn in Bristol. I started out with the simple satin stitch embroidery for the back pockets. This post here documents my method for producing those flowers.
The construction for the jeans is a little unusual, since there is a facing rather than a waistband. I did also have to change the fit somewhat, particular the front crotch seam, which needed flattening. I’ve put more information on this post.
I’m proud that I managed to fit all those jeans buttons without drama. They weren’t particularly difficult to hammer in, but I did suffer from some trepidation, since I knew how difficult it would be to rectify any mistakes.
I could really live in these jeans. They are my number one comfort wear at the moment. I can really see myself making another pair of these, perhaps with the more standard pockets and waistband. I can thoroughly recommend seeking out a vintage jeans pattern!