I can’t believe it took me this long to make a garment suitable for the Frocktober challenge from EIGHT months ago. I started a different dress specifically for this challenge back in October: a shirtdress sewn up in some seasonally appropriate Cotton + Steel fabric. But I found myself hating the fabric I’d bought for the underskirt, & before I could muster up the will to soldier on, I got my cancer diagnosis & spiraled into six months of being stuck in bed. Under normal circumstances, I surely would have whipped up a dress at some point in eight months!
Anyway! This is a very modified version of the Miz Mozelle dress from Jamie Christina (who happens to be a sponsor of the upcoming Indie Pattern Month!). The biggest change is that I sewed it in a woven (also a Cotton + Steel print) rather than a knit. I also eliminated the sleeves, collar, & keyhole, swapped the straightforward elastic waist for a shirred panel, & added side-slant pockets.
To make the conversion from knit to woven, I just cut a size or two larger, though even that is not entirely necessary, as the pattern has positive ease. Based on the things I hated about previous iterations I’ve made, I added a whopping FOUR INCHES to the front bodice as a cheater FBA. That was probably a bit excessive, but it does prevent the waistline from riding all the way up my ribcage every time I move my arms.
But the really special thing about this dress is the BEADING! Seriously, cutting & sewing the dress itself took like two hours, including making & applying self-fabric bias to finish the neckline & armscyes. The beading took maybe 25 hours? I worked on it off & on for an entire month after the dress was finished. Every bead is sewn on by hand, & they are tiny. There are around 4000 total. I was still needing to spend a lot of time in bed when I made this dress, so hand-beading was a good project for the moment. The result is relatively subtle, I think. I like the disparity between the labor-intensive embellishment & the overall casual ease of the dress. I wore it to volunteer at my daughter’s preschool & the only issue I had was one little girl in the class being drawn to the glitz & constantly trying to pick the beads off the dress. Thankfully, I sewed them on securely enough to thwart her best efforts.
For more details & other garments, you can visit my blog!