So, with IPM a month late this year, it may have thrown off my form for the Tour de Fleece (I’ve spun NOTHING) I have had a great time sewing. Challenge one didn’t eventuate due to my not being careful enough with pattern sizing (we will rectify that later!), but challenge two has me rather happy!
I sewed up the Anderson Blouse from Sew Over It UK and absolutely adore my results!
I chose a beautiful Echino by Kokka fabric which I picked up for a steal at the Bolt of Cloth sale – if you’re near one, I cannot fault their selection.
It is a gorgeous mustard yellow with bright, royal blue sparrows on it. You can’t see them in the above pic, but there are also shimmery bees printed on the fabric sporadically. I just adore it.
The Anderson Blouse has been on my ‘to make’ list since I first saw it – as a big X-files fan, I just had to make something inspired by Scully herself! (And her appearance in my recent favourite American Gods helped along a little too).
Due to the pattern’s immense ease, I didn’t need to add ANY extra to the body pieces. I cut a straight 48 – except the 1 inch to the underarm on the front body due to my bicep increase in the sleeve. Which was large, to say the least…
So my pattern piece may look rather different to the original, but the arms FIT! I could probably have increased another inch or so to make them super roomy, but for me they are a great fit as they are. I ended up increasing them by three inches, to 21 inches total. My arms are 17 inch around, and this was just enough ease for them to be comfortable and look ‘right’.
I adore the gathered detail at the shoulders, and in this shot you can just catch a bee as it buzzes past in the bottom left! (It’s just under the bird’s foot!
You can also see here that I didn’t 100% follow the instructions – I couldn’t quite get my head around the neck bias instruction, and I didn’t mind having a facing, so I sewed it as a facing. No harm, still fits and wears fine!
The other change I made is I opted for elasticated hems on the sleeves, rather than the intended cuff. I am a medical secretary, and typing is one of my number one tasks and I know from past experience that cuffed sleeves drive me CRAZY when I am trying to work! So I just omitted the sleeve cuff pattern piece, and folded up the hem and ran some elastic through. It worked rather nicely, and I will get a lot more wear out of it.
My research into other people’s makes of the Anderson Blouse left me with the distinct feeling that I might be the largest person to have made it so far – I’m a solid 48 inch bust and 50 inch hip, and with no alterations this fit me rather well. I didn’t add a drawstring or elastic to the hem and I can wear it easily without being tucked in, but I didn’t take any pics as a) I intend to always wear it tucked, and b) these were taken when I got home from work and this fabric creases rather easily!
There are two alterations I intend to make on my next Anderson Blouse (along with those mentioned above. One is that I am going to add a little length to it – I’m not tall by any means at 5’5”, but I think due to boobage and hippage, this runs a little short for tucking in.
The other alteration I am going to make is to sew down the cross over the whole way. I tacked it down in one place at the top of this one, and thought I was golden. However, as the photo below outlines quite well, I was not.
Yep. That’s my bra. And like, most of a boob showing through there. When reviewing the shots my partner had taken I asked, a little shocked, “why didn’t you tell me my boob was all over the damn place?!” to whit he responded “I thought you knew”. So that’s the view my co-workers have had today. Though perhaps not, as no one mentioned it! Next time around I am going to find a way of making this not happen, and preferably in as invisible a manner as I can manage.
I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this new to me make, and I can guarantee there will be more in the future of the Anderson Blouse!
And as everything survives on the internet, a bonus picture: me, looking utterly fabulous, outside in 7degC weather, modelling my new make in my slippers.
For those wondering on the name – I had three names in mind for this shirt as I was making it. The obvious being ‘The Birds and the Bees Shirt’, a slightly less family friendly “Get ——–ed Shirt” in reference to the first name, and I finally settled on the Herrenvolk Blouse, named after the fourth season premiere episode of The X-Files, one in which Mulder ends up inside a giant beehive. It seemed appropriate!